6 Specialists You Ultimately Need to Implement Dynamics 365 Successfully
May 31, 2023
7 min read
To successfully implement Dynamics 365, it takes more than just having the software. It requires careful planning, expertise, and effective teamwork. Business owners and managers can struggle with assembling a capable team that can overcome obstacles and fully utilizes the benefits of Dynamics 365. This article will detail the essential roles for successful implementation and identify the six crucial members needed to achieve it. Initially, we will describe roles and then provide approximate team compositions based on project size.
Key Roles for Successful Dynamics 365 Implementation
Project managers oversee the entire implementation process, from planning to execution. They are crucial in coordinating the team`s efforts, managing timelines, and ensuring the project stays on track. A project manager also acts as the primary point of contact between the organization and the implementation team. Strong leadership, communication, and organizational skills are essential for successful project management.
- Oversee all aspects of the Dynamics 365 project, from timelines and resources to budget management.
- Coordinate and align the team involved in the project.
- Monitor project progress and ensure adherence to goals and objectives.
- Communicate with stakeholders and manage expectations throughout the project lifecycle.
- Proficient in project management, including planning, organization, and risk management.
- Excellent communication and leadership abilities.
- Experience in driving innovation and implementing process improvements to optimize project outcomes.
- Strong analytical skills to interpret data and metrics for informed decision-making.
Solution architects play a critical role in designing the technical aspects of the D365 implementation. They work closely with a functional consultant to translate functional requirements into technical design. A solution architect determines the system architecture, integrations with external systems, and customizations needed to meet the organization`s specific requirements. Their expertise ensures the solution is scalable, efficient, and aligned with the organization`s business goals.
- Work with stakeholders to analyze business requirements and design technical solutions utilizing all platform capabilities.
- Define the system architecture, data model, integrations, and customizations needed for the project.
- Ensure the solution aligns with industry best practices and the organization`s long-term IT strategy.
- Provide guidance and technical expertise to the development team throughout the project.
- In-depth knowledge of the D365 platform and its various modules.
- Strong understanding of system architecture, data modeling, and integration patterns.
- The capability to convert business requirements into technical specifications.
- Proficiency in D365 customization and configuration.
FUNCTIONAL CONSULTANT/BUSINESS ANALYST
Functional consultants are responsible for gathering and analyzing the organization`s requirements and translating them into functional specifications. They work closely with stakeholders to identify business needs, document processes, and define system requirements. By understanding the organization`s goals and objectives, a functional consultant ensures that the D365 solution aligns with the business expectations, resulting in effective implementation.
- Work closely with stakeholders to gather business requirements and define the project`s scope.
- Provide expert advice on D365 capabilities and functionalities.
- Configure and customize the D365 solution based on the business requirements.
- Conduct user training and provide ongoing support.
- Strong knowledge of D365 modules and their functionalities.
- Experience in solution configuration and customization using D365 tools.
- Good understanding of business processes and workflows.
- Excellent communication and problem-solving skills.
Technical consultants possess in-depth knowledge of the D365 platform and its technical capabilities. They are responsible for configuring, customizing, and extending the D365 solution to meet business requirements. Their expertise in D365 customization and system integration ensures the successful translation of the solution architecture into a functional feature. A technical consultant works closely with a solution architect and a functional consultant to implement the gathered requirements.
- Collaborate with a solution architect and a functional consultant to implement the identified technical specifications and requirements.
- Configure and customize the D365 solution.
- Develop and implement integrations with other systems using built-in features.
- Conduct system testing and ensure the solution meets the defined requirements.
- In-depth knowledge of the D365 platform, its modules, and development tools.
- Proficiency in customization, configuration, and extension of D365 solutions.
- Problem-solving and analytical abilities.
PowerApps developers enhance the D365 solution by creating custom applications and functionalities. They enable users to access and interact with D365 data more intuitively and efficiently. Their skills in Power Apps development contribute to a more tailored and personalized user experience.
- Develop and customize Power Apps applications to extend the functionality of D365.
- Design and implement plugins, web resources, workflows, and business logic within PowerApps.
- Integrate Power Apps with other systems and data sources.
- Test and troubleshoot Power Apps applications to ensure functionality and performance.
- Proficiency in Power Apps development and customization.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Power Platform and its components.
- Understanding of data connections and APIs.
QUALITY ASSURANCE (QA) ENGINEER
QA engineers are critical in ensuring the implemented D365 solution functions as intended and meets the organization`s requirements. Their testing efforts help identify and resolve issues or bugs before the solution is deployed, resulting in a reliable and high-quality system.
- Develop and execute test plans, test cases, and test scripts to ensure the quality of the D365 solution.
- Perform functional, integration, and performance testing.
- Identify and report software defects and work with the development team to resolve them.
- Validate that the implemented solution meets the specified requirements.
- Strong knowledge of software testing methodologies and tools.
- Understanding of D365 functionalities and business processes.
- Attention to detail and ability to identify and report defects effectively.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills.
Implementation Team Composition Based on Project Size
Assessing the scope, goals, and resources available for your CRM implementation is crucial to determine the best team composition. Based on over 15 years of practical experience with projects of different scales, the following is our perspective on team composition. The descriptions and team structures are general and can be tailored to each project`s specific needs and circumstances.
The key features of a big project:
It typically involves large (starting from 100 business users) organizations with complex business processes and extensive requirements.
It may encompass multiple business units, departments, or regions.
Project duration could span several months or even years (starting from 1000+ development hours per month).
Significant customization and integration with other systems may be necessary.
Multiple stakeholders are usually involved, including executives, project managers, and technical teams.
Data migration, extensive training programs, and change management initiatives may be necessary.
Team composition for a big project includes:
Project Manager (Scrum Master)
Functional Consultant /Business Analyst
The main characteristics of a mid-size project:
Typically involves organizations with moderate complexity and requirements.
20-70 business users.
It may encompass one or several business units or departments within an organization.
Project duration could range from a few months to a year (around 700 development hours per month).
Customization and integration needs are moderate compared to big projects.
Stakeholders may include department managers, CRM administrators, and IT staff.
Data migration and training activities are usually involved but on a smaller scale.
Team composition for a mid-size project includes:
Project Manager (Scrum Master)
Solution Architect (part-time for key architectural decisions)
Consultant (one person can cover both functional and technical roles with the right skills)
The primary components of a small project:
It typically involves small to medium-sized organizations (20 or fewer business users) with straightforward requirements.
Focuses on specific departments or limited business processes.
Project duration could range from a few weeks to a few months.
Customization needs are minimal, often relying on out-of-the-box functionality.
Stakeholders may include department heads, CRM administrators, and small IT teams.
Data migration and training efforts are simpler and less extensive.
Team composition for a small project includes:
Project Manager (Consultant could cover role)
QA Engineer (Consultant could cover role)
QUICK START PROJECT/SUPPORT PROJECT
Key features of a Quick Start project/Support project:
Typically refers to an entry-level project to provide small companies with a basic setup and functionality.
Up to 200 development hours per month.
Team composition for Quick Start Projects/Support Projects includes:
PowerApps Developer (part-time)
Dynamics 365 implementation success relies on a skilled and collaborative team working together. Each team member plays a crucial role in aligning the project with organizational goals, enhancing operational efficiency, and satisfying end-users. This article emphasizes the importance of these key roles and their contributions to the overall success of a D365 implementation. Organizations can assemble an outstanding team and achieve a seamless and efficient D365 implementation by understanding these responsibilities and contributions.
Got questions? Our team is ready to assist you. Don`t hesitate to ask!