Working with Dynamics 365 sometimes you need to navigate through data to find specific records or get general picture. In this article we review techniques and tools you can use to get Dynamics 365 data at your fingertips
Here is this list with links if you want to jump to specific tip right away
- Tip 1. Custom view
- Tip 2. Diagrams
- Tip 3. Mass Edit
- Tip 4. Edit in Excel Online
- Tip 5. Dynamic Excel Export
Tip 1. Custom view
This tool allows access to preselected data with specific columns and filters. If you use same filters often – this tool is indeed for you.
Let’s take an example how to track leads from Redmond. Steps we do for leads can be applied to any record types like opportunities or cases
To setup Custom view do the following:
1. Open lead list
2. Open Advanced Find tool on top right
3. Press Details and edit all criteria’s you want this leads to fit. In our case we need Open Leads from Redmond
4. You also can edit columns included in view using Edit Columns button
5. Press Results to ensure you selection is valid
6. Then return to Advanced Find and press Save As to save this view for future reference
7. After doing so you will be able to select this view under My Views (Refresh browser window in case it is not there)
Tip 2. Diagrams
Diagrams are very handy when you need to see the overall picture. They allow to group data by some dimensions and see aggregated values. You can use out-of-the-box diagrams and build your own.
Let’s continue our Leads investigation and see how many leads do we have per different city.
1. Open Leads and expand Charts control on right
2. Now you are able to select from list of existing charts or create new. Let’s create new chart
3. Enter Chart Name, Series (Values), Category (Labels). Select chart type using Chart Type Press Save
4. From now on you will be able to find this chart under My Charts in charts selecton
1. Click on Chart part to select included data in view
2. Filter data on view and press Refresh Chart to show chart based on selected data
Tip 3. Mass Edit
Mass edit allow you to change several records at a time. For example you want to set Rating to Hot for several Leads.
1. Open Leads, select records you want to change and press Edit
2. Set Rating to Hot and press Change
That’s it! This action will change only Rating field, so you should not worry you overwrite some data.
Tip 4. Edit in Excel Online
Sometimes you need to change many records in Dynamics 365, but all these changes are different. It is very boring to open each record and change data (I know). Mass edit tool on the other hand only allow to change all records to have same values. FINALLY! We have ability to edit CRM records directly in Excel. Previously you need to export it and import again, but not anymore.
Let’s assume we need to remove all that (sample) part from our demo data (both from Name and Topic)
1. Press black triangle near the Export to Excel to expand possible options and select Open in Excel Online
2. Edit all the data you need and press Save Changes to Dynamics 365 Please note you are not able to edit directly Name field since it is combination of First and Last Name. Edit them instead
3. It will notify you that import job created. Just press ok. It can take several minutes until your changes reflected in Dynamics. For our sample we should receive at the end picture like this
Tip 5. Dynamic Excel Export
Last feature is a little bit technically complicated to setup, but is very rewarding if you want to have all the CRM data available in Excel books and dynamically connected to Dynamics 365.
To work with this feature you need first to setup and configure Microsoft CRM Outlook AddIn. Don’t worry if you don’t have or use outlook, this package also contains Excel AddIn we need, even so name do not say this directly :).
I would recommend you to ask your IT Support to install it for you, since it can be complicated for some users to do, or you might have not enough permissions.
Use this guide to install and configure Outlook AddIn
If you have issue completing last step connecting Outlook AddIn to Dynamics 365, download latest updated for Outlook AddIn from this page. First select latest available update, then download and install something called Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Microsoft Office Outlook
After installing and configuring we can start working with Dynamic Worksheet
1. Open list you want to export and press Export to Excel -> Dynamic Worksheet
2. Select columns in next window and press Export.
3. Open downloaded file. On Data tab you can press Refresh from Dynamics 365 and it will automatically get updated data from CRM. You can build fancy reports, excel diagrams and pivot tables based on this data and update it when you need to see actual status.
You can do many things with data in Dynamics 365. We reviewed just few of tools witch are important and useful but hidden and sometimes not easy to find. Please fill free to contact our company in case you need additional info or other consulting services regarding Dynamics 365.
Good luck using Dynamics tools in your daily operations! Note: UDS Consulting provides high quality Microsoft Dynamics CRM & Dynamics 365 solutions, starting from CRM Online Customization and up to long-term On-Premise Projects with Agile methodology, industry modifications, multiple system integrations for EU, AU and US based companies.